[Off topic] Re: Mac OS X

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 22 16:19:01 2004

Norberto:

Longman, Bill wrote:
>>get an OEM computer with no OS installed. They can not sell you an
>>OEM computer legally wthout Windoze pre-loaded.
>
> Norberto, go to dellauction.com and you'll see plenty of machines
> being sold by them sans license.

I second Bill's suggestion. I bought a used 933 MHz Dell
Somethingorother with no OS (~US$220), and Mandrake Linux 9.2 installed
on it effortlessly.

> That's a business decision Dell made -- not to market
> their preinstalled RH machines. Why they decided that
> is yet another [OT] discussion, but the only legal
> issue for them to do so is their license agreement
> with M$.

If one pokes around on Dell's site, one can find server-class machines
offered with Linux pre-installed. The option is very well hidden, however.

Best wishes,
Clint