[Off topic] Re: Mac OS X

Norberto Quintanar yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 22 20:35:02 2004

--- Clinton MacDonald <clint.macdonald@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Norberto:
>
> Longman, Bill wrote:
> >>get an OEM computer with no OS installed. They can not sell you
> an
> >>OEM computer legally wthout Windoze pre-loaded.
> >
> > Norberto, go to dellauction.com and you'll see plenty of machines
> > being sold by them sans license.
>
> I second Bill's suggestion. I bought a used 933 MHz Dell
> Somethingorother with no OS (~US$220), and Mandrake Linux 9.2
> installed
> on it effortlessly.
>
> > That's a business decision Dell made -- not to market
> > their preinstalled RH machines. Why they decided that
> > is yet another [OT] discussion, but the only legal
> > issue for them to do so is their license agreement
> > with M$.
>
> If one pokes around on Dell's site, one can find server-class
> machines
> offered with Linux pre-installed. The option is very well hidden,
> however.
>
> Best wishes,
> Clint

Oh, I know those options exist, but why are they well hidden?  Is it
because they don't want to step on M$'s toes?  I also know I can go
to pricewatch.com or froogle.google.com and configure a really nice
sytem for under $500.  Brand new!  No one wants to break their M$
agreements and until a major player computer player does, we will not
have a good linux desktop.  So to the linux desktop playa haters, go
get a manual ;)

Norberto Quintanar
--http://www.geocities.com/nquintanar