Unwanted Dialup Connections!

Mike Parson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 23 09:42:01 2004

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 12:26:52PM +0000, Dene Stringfellow wrote:
> Geoffrey,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Does this mean I need to add all the local workstations and router to
> the /etc/hosts file to avoid the dialups? Or can I just disable the
> reverse DNS? Is this a good idea? If so, how do I achieve this?

There is no disabling reverse DNS, you would have to disable *all* DNS
and have a big-ass /etc/hosts file, but that just wouldn't work out very
well, would it?

You'll want to set up a local DNS server, have it serve up both forwards
and reverses for the nodes on your local network.

Take a look at the DNS-HOWTO:

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/DNS-HOWTO.html

And if you've already got BIND installed on your YDL box, read the
BIND 9 Administrator Reference Manual, which can be found at:

/usr/share/doc/bind-9.2.1/arm/Bv9ARM.html

> I don't know if this will help at all to narrow down the problem, but
> when I ran the following command this morning:
>
> /sbin/route

/sbin/route -n

the -n will prevent it from trying to ressolve the IPs to names.

> It caused the router to dial out immediately prior to displaying the 3rd
> line of the file which is the default gateway entry. As soon as the
> dialup connection is established the gateway line of the route file is
> displayed!

As expected, try it with -n

--
Michael Parson