yellowdog-general digest, Vol 1 #1388 - Message 2 - Re: switching to Gentoo

Derick Centeno yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Mar 24 21:34:01 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 22:05,
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:55:28 -0800 (PST)
> From: Norberto Quintanar <nquintanar@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: kernel installation issues
> To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
>

> --- Derick Centeno <snipped> wrote:
> > Ever since yum "installed" the kernel upgrade nothing on my system
> > has
> > been working reliably.
>
> I'd seriously consider reinstalling.  Or, ahem, cough cough,
> switching to Gento ;) -   There are so many hosed dependencies that
> by the time you actually had it all figured out the time spent could
> have been better utilized using your computer to do something with
> it.
>
> Norberto Quintanar
> --http://www.geocites.com/nquintanar

> http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
>
> --__--__--
Dear Norberto:
Unfortunately, reinstalling nor switching to Gentoo or anything like it
are real answers for what I do. First, reinstalling with the same
options or procedures leads me to engaging in an "infinite loop" which
is fine for computers, but not humans.  I have read the advice and
comments you have given others and I'm rather surprised that this is the
only answer you have for me.

Second, Gentoo is brand spanking new.  It doesn't even have the "tried
and true" world wide following of Debian.  IF I were going to switch it
might be to Debian.  Being on the leading and BLEEDING EDGE, however is
not my idea of fun.  I envision either the Guillotine or a Samauri sword
which at least so far in this life I have found myself most blessed to
not be in front of.  Some people like this kind of excitement; I never
have.

I should admit that complexity is just another thing to do which is why
I chose Linux anyway, but it is really interesting to do work on a Red
Hat Linux box or AIX, and run it within YDL, and vice versa.  I
intentionally STAY AWAY from other versions of Linux because I want just
kind of flexibility and STABILITY, YDL provides.

Debian and Gentoo would be fine if I was not intergrating my work with
others or if I was a lone shark hacker.  I'm a programmer, Sys. Admin.,
and other things -hacker-, perhaps as well, as one must be within Linux
to tweak,the thing into doing what one wishes.  However, I stay within
the rules of fair play, choose to cooperate with others and find
sufficient individual expression within YDL, Thank you.
--
Cherokee: Mitakuye Oyasin
English Translation: We are all related.

Better to die on one's feet than to live on one's knees.
-- Dolores Ibarruri, 1936

Intellectual freedom cannot exist without political freedom; political
freedom cannot exist without economic freedom; a free mind and a free
market are corollaries.
-- Ayn Rand, "For the New Intellectual"

Life only demands from you the strength you possess.  Only one feat is
possible -- not to have run away.
-- Dag Hammarskjold (July 29, 1905-September 18, 1961)

Be Well...