KDE Time and Mouse Buttons

Longman, Bill yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Mar 25 10:01:02 2004

> 2) How do I change the time from the shell? (dmesg says the
> time is being set
> to  UTC, but I had it set to EST.)

I can help you on this one, Ed. Just change your TZ. Most of the time the
system keeps track of everything in terms of UTC but it's a matter of
displaying the time that matters to the user. Thus, if I'm in Saskatoon and
you're in Okinawa, the system time can stay the same but we can have our
environment variable set to our respective time zones and we'll get the
right time displayed.

export TZ=America/Los_Angeles

gets me times displayed in my timezone. In fact, you can do this:

TZ=UTC date

and you'll see the date in UTC. If you want to see the time in New Yawk, do
this:

TZ=America/New_York date

If all you want to do is *set* the date, well just read the date man page.
Or try setting up ntp. It's much easier....