KDE Time and Mouse Buttons

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Mar 25 10:33:01 2004

Ed:

Longman, Bill wrote:
>> 2) How do I change the time from the shell? (dmesg says the
>> time is being set to UTC, but I had it set to EST.)
>
> I can help you on this one, Ed. Just change your TZ.
> [...]
> export TZ=America/Los_Angeles

If you are lazy, as I am, login to KDE and right click on the time
display in the lower right hand side of your panel. One of the choices
will be to change the time, date, and time zone (you will be asked for
your root password -- don't get me started about root passwords...).

> If all you want to do is *set* the date, well just read the date man page.
> Or try setting up ntp. It's much easier....

Terrasoft has a Web page that discusses setting the system time and the
hardware time from an ntp server using the command line (recommended):

<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/clock.shtml>

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint