ATI driver problem: addendum

Stephen Harker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 26 01:35:02 2004

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 07:56:54PM -0700, Francis X. Maier wrote:
> PS:  Re below, here's the message I get more specifically:
>
> [root@dannyp root]# glxinfo | grep rendering
> Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
> direct rendering: No
>
> My YDL 3.0 is running on an original 333 iMac with an ATI Rage 128
> (AGP, I think).
>
> When I do "glxgears," I get an FPS of between 80 and 100 on the 3D
> spinning wheels image.
>
> But when I run "glxinfo | grep rendering," I get a "direct rendering:
> no" message.
> [...]

I got DRI working on a PCI Rage128 installed on my 7600 at home.  In
doing this I basically just followed the advice in some messages to
this list at some time in the past.  I no longer remember the details,
but you should be able to find them using google as this list is
searched.  By chance I have a copy of my /etc/X11/XF86Config from my
7600 which I attach below.

As best I recall I just hand edited the anaconda generated
/etc/X11/XF86Config to obtain the version below.  The main changes
were to enable dri as you have done, then change the "Device" to ati
and use the FBDev option.  The main thing to watch is the BusID in the
"Device" section, this depends on which PCI device it is.  I obtained
the appropriate value from dmesg (or from /var/log/boot.log)

Having done this I have the "glxgears" FPS go from around 80 to around
200 (I am using 24 bit colour which is not optimal for DRI).

# File generated by anaconda.

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Anaconda Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	#

EndSection

Section "Files"

# The location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.

    RgbPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.

    FontPath   "unix/:7100"

EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
	Load  "fbdevhw"
	Load  "dri"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"

#	Option	"AutoRepeat"	"500 5"

# when using XQUEUE, comment out the above line, and uncomment the
# following line
#	Option	"Protocol"	"Xqueue"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#	Option	"Xleds"		"1 2 3"

# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#	Option	"XkbDisable"

# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#	Option	"XkbModel"	"pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#	Option	"XkbModel"	"microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#	Option	"XkbLayout"	"de"
# or:
#	Option	"XkbLayout"	"de"
#	Option	"XkbVariant"	"nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#	Option	"XkbOptions"	"ctrl:swapcaps"
	Option	"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
	Option	"XkbModel"	"macintosh"
	Option	"XkbLayout"	"us"
	#Option	"XkbVariant"	""
	#Option	"XkbOptions"	""
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

#

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Monitor Model"
        HorizSync   30-71
        VertRefresh 50-160
        Option "dpms"

EndSection

Section "Device"
	# no known options
	Identifier   "ATI Rage 128"
        Driver       "ati"
        Option       "UseFBDev"
        VendorName   "ATI Rage 128"
        BoardName     "ATI Rage 128"

        BusID	      "PCI:0:13:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier   "Screen0"
        Device       "ATI Rage 128"
        Monitor      "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth	24

	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		8
		Modes 		"1024x768"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		16
		Modes 		"1024x768"
	EndSubSection
	Subsection "Display"
        	Depth       24
                Modes       "1024x768"
	EndSubsection

EndSection

Section "DRI"
	Mode 0666
EndSection

--
Stephen Harker                           Stephen.Harker@spme.monash.edu.au
School of Physics & Materials Engineering