Kernel panic: mesh: double DMA start !

info yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Mar 28 12:00:03 2004

Hi All,

When installing YDL 3.0.1 I keep getting kernel panics, right after the
installer has formatted the disk and is starting to install packages on
a PPC7600

I get some CD and HD activity first, then about a minute silence and
then this message:

    Kernel panic: mesh: double DMA start !

After some research I learned that:
- mesh is the name of the stuff that runs the scsi chain on an PPC7600
- it has helped others to check on the scsi chain:
    * the boot disk should be highest in priority after the cpu
    * termination should be set properly

I've checked my setup and all is fine:
- HD is terminated and on the end of the scsi ribbon with ID 6 (right
after de cpu on ID 7)
- CD player is not terminated and on ID 5
- changing ID's doesn't help (tried ID 3 and ID 0 for the HD)

Can someone provide some more info on what DMA is and what could cause
it to start twice (?) at this point in the installing sequence?
Is there another approach I could try?
Is there a way to trace log what is happening so I could get some more
info about what's going on?

Thanx,

Peter Teunissen