Problems with kernel 2.4.22-2gsmp on Dual 1GHz MirrorDriveDoors

Alexander Holst yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 29 01:37:01 2004

Hi everybody,

I recently had some time and tried to get my Dual 1GHz MirrorDriveDoor
G4 up to YDL 3.0.1, which apparently just differs in the kernel used,
compared to 3.0, plus mol & mol-kmods, due to the kernel - I guess.

Unfortunately, the new kernel won't boot on my machine. It gets as far
as reading all IDE drive partitions, but, as soon as it tries to make
use of the SCSI emulation for my CDRW, a Superdrive, it panics and
mentiones something about "internal machine probe ..."

2.4.20-8esmp works fine on that machine though.

I did get around the aic7xx, or such, module issue, as I checked the
default 2.4.22-2gsmp config for the kernel and it is actually compiled
in and not compiled as a module anymore. So removing the respective
line in /etc/modules.conf got me through to manually generate an
initrd, reflect all the changes in /etc/yaboot.conf and reboot.

Any ideas?

p.s.: I must admit, I haven't tried the kernel for single CPUs on that
machine as of yet.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Alex

Alexander Holst
Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences
<holst [at] fh-pforzheim [dot] de>
ph: +49 [0]7231 28-6837
fx: +49 [0]7231 28-6040