Linux Mandrake 8.2

James A. Ricken yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 29 20:40:02 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 18:47, Kenneth Browne wrote:

> You're probably already aware that there's a Mandrake 9.1 out now. I've
> used Mandrake in the past on x86 machines and am in the middle of
> downloading it due to my inability to get sound working in my Old World
> Mac; because Mandrake has excellent documentation included on the CD's; and
> because the gui package manager was a lot less geek dependent than YDL.
> I've had YDL 3.0 on one hard disk on my Mac for a few weeks now and still
> haven't figured out how to add packages or subtract them. (I know there's a
> command line interface, and I'd like to learn it, but I'd also like the gui
> so I can take my time learning the meaning of the switches, etc. that go
> with urpmi!

  Thanks for your reply Kenneth!

  Yes I have tryed Linux Mandrake 9.1 on my Mac 8600
  It installed ok,but for some reason I could not boot into it because
it told me that it could not find root,so I just gave up and went back
to YDL 3.0
  I even went as far as installing Mandrake 8.2 and then upgrading 8.2
to 9.1, once I did that I was back to square one again,not being able to
boot into it.
 I don't know if the Mandrake 9.1 iso's were corrupted when I downloaded
them or what,but I could not get it to boot with the kernel that came
with it.

Jim