Linux Mandrake 8.2

Andrew yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 29 21:08:03 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 22:39, James A. Ricken wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 18:47, Kenneth Browne wrote:
>
> > You're probably already aware that there's a Mandrake 9.1 out now. I've
> > used Mandrake in the past on x86 machines and am in the middle of
> > downloading it due to my inability to get sound working in my Old World
> > Mac; because Mandrake has excellent documentation included on the CD's; and
> > because the gui package manager was a lot less geek dependent than YDL.
> > I've had YDL 3.0 on one hard disk on my Mac for a few weeks now and still
> > haven't figured out how to add packages or subtract them. (I know there's a
> > command line interface, and I'd like to learn it, but I'd also like the gui
> > so I can take my time learning the meaning of the switches, etc. that go
> > with urpmi!
> >
>   Thanks for your reply Kenneth!
>
>   Yes I have tryed Linux Mandrake 9.1 on my Mac 8600
>   It installed ok,but for some reason I could not boot into it because
> it told me that it could not find root,so I just gave up and went back
> to YDL 3.0
>   I even went as far as installing Mandrake 8.2 and then upgrading 8.2
> to 9.1, once I did that I was back to square one again,not being able to
> boot into it.
>  I don't know if the Mandrake 9.1 iso's were corrupted when I downloaded
> them or what,but I could not get it to boot with the kernel that came
> with it.
>
> Jim

 You installed it on a SCSI drive, heh? ;) Dont ask why but SCSI drives
are oldworld Linux bitches. I had to buy a ATA to hold the / partition
and put /home and /usr on the SCSI then boot from the ATA then use pico
or vi to edit /etc/fstab to change all 'sdb' occurrences to 'sda'. Then
it worked.

 That leave me speechless: Anaconda is able to install on SCSIs then the
'real' kernel can't use the drive. I attempted to install Gentoo 2004.0
and here again it was unable to use my SCSI veteran.

Dude, im gonna get a newworld!