more on non-working ssh

Dan Day yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 30 13:10:27 2004

> Now it's sounding more and more like a firewall issue.
>
> # iptables --list
>
> should show "policy ACCEPT" for INPUT, FORWARD and OUTPUT. If not,
> turn it
> off with "/etc/init.d/iptables stop".

Thanks Bill! The "iptables --list" did show "policy ACCEPT" for those
three but beneath that there were a bunch of other ACCEPT and REJECT
statements. I did the "/etc/init.d/iptables stop" which cleared
everything and then I was able to connect. I'll be sure to read the man
pages for iptables but can anyone tell me how these other lines were
added? Here's what iptables --list showed before clearing it:

------------
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source       destination
RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT  all  --  anywhere     anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source       destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source       destination

Chain RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT (1 references)
target   prot opt source     destination
ACCEPT   udp  --  anywhere   anywhere   udp spt:ntp dpt:ntp
ACCEPT   all  --  anywhere   anywhere
REJECT   tcp  --  anywhere   anywhere   tcp dpts:0:1023
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT   tcp  --  anywhere   anywhere   tcp dpt:nfs
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT   udp  --  anywhere   anywhere   udp dpts:0:1023 reject-with
icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT   udp  --  anywhere   anywhere   udp dpt:nfs reject-with
icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT   tcp  --  anywhere   anywhere   tcp dpts:x11:6009
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT   tcp  --  anywhere   anywhere   tcp dpt:xfs
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN reject-with icmp-port-unreachable