more on non-working ssh

Mike Parson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 30 14:05:02 2004

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 02:07:32PM -0600, Dan Day wrote:
> >Now it's sounding more and more like a firewall issue.
> >
> ># iptables --list
> >
> >should show "policy ACCEPT" for INPUT, FORWARD and OUTPUT. If not,
> >turn it
> >off with "/etc/init.d/iptables stop".
>
> Thanks Bill! The "iptables --list" did show "policy ACCEPT" for those
> three but beneath that there were a bunch of other ACCEPT and REJECT
> statements. I did the "/etc/init.d/iptables stop" which cleared
> everything and then I was able to connect. I'll be sure to read the man
> pages for iptables but can anyone tell me how these other lines were
> added? Here's what iptables --list showed before clearing it:

iptables can give you a big headache if you're not up on your networking
and firewall theory type stuff.  Instead of attacking iptables directly,
try using lokkit, which gives you an easier to use interface to the
iptables rules.

For more info on iptables than the man page will give you:

http://www.netfilter.org/

--
Michael Parson
mparson@bl.org