Firefox Compile Problem

Rafael Santiago, Jr. yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 30 19:31:01 2004

When it comes to building stuff from source, configure scripts generally
tend to use 2 approaches for finding some libraries: a
<libaryname>-config script and pkg-config, which itself uses *.pc files
found in /usr/lib/pkgconfig to display information for the libraries.

If the configure script is not finding the gtk-config, my guess is that
when you installed gtk, the gtk-config was never installed but
chances are that you've got a gtk*.pc file living in /usr/lib/pkgconfig.

Here's a script I wrote that has helped me out when a configure script
looks for a <libraryname>-config script but what I have is the *.pc
file:

#!/bin/sh
# generic-config
#
# Wrapper script for configure scripts that look for a
# *-config script for libraries. This script provides that
# functionality using pkg-config. Just create a link with
# the name of the *-config the configure script and point it
# to this script.
pkg-config $0 $*

So in your case for example, in a directory in my path I'd create a
symlink to the above script and name it gtk-config. This approach should
work with any libraries that don't have <libraryname>-config scripts but
use pkg-config.

Since I don't know which version of gtk you have installed or which
version you want to link against, you can also just name the script
gtk-config and change "$0" to be "gtk+", "gtk+-2.0", or whatever it is
that you have in /usr/lib/pkgconfig.

Hope this helps!
-Ralf