AFS over AppleTalk? (was Re: login as root to netatalk)

Henry Olders yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 30 19:47:01 2004

On Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004, at 01:40 Canada/Eastern,
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:

>> Is there any way to configure netatalk or atalkd or afpd to permit
>> root
>> to access the AFS mounts from a remote computer?
>
> If you're talking about the AFS I know (IBM/Transarc Andrew File
> System),
> then, by default, root has no more access to AFS than any other nobody.
> What did you mean?

My apologies, Atro; I meant AFP (AppleShare File Protocol) mounts, not
AFS. I'm running netatalk on a Mac 7200, and can successfully access
these files from a Pismo running OS 10.2.8 when logging on as a
non-root user. "Connect to server" on the Pismo rejects my attempts to
log onto the 7200 as root. I understand that this is because access by
root is denied by default. Can this be changed? If so, how? Thanks for
any help!

Henry