Boot from Adaptec 2940U2B SCSI Card?

John M Phillips yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 1 14:55:02 2004

Someone else may have a solution leaving the scsi driver as a module, but
my suggestion would be to rebuild the linux kernal with the scsi drivers
included in the kernel.  The source for the kernal, on the second install
disk, is kernel-source-2.4.20-8d.ppc.rpm.

You need to be able to use your linux system to compile and install the
new kernel.  See the howto to boot off the cdrom
  www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_3.0/rescue-mode.shtml

If you have never build a linux kernel from source, be prepared for a
few false starts. As root from the /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-d8, the steps are

	1) make clean       # Starts from a safe mode
	2) make xconfig     # Graphical configuration tool
	     * find scsi support
             * find scsi low-level drivers
	     * set the driver(AIC7xxx or OLD AIC7xxx) for your card
		to "y" and not "m"
	3) make dep
	4) make
	5) copy the new kernel to the /boot directory
	     cp vmlinux /boot/vmlinux-test
	6) edit /etc/yaboot.conf to include an entry for your
	   new kernel
        7) reboot and cross your fingers

good luck
John M Phillips