Problems printing to HP JetDirect print server...

Douglas Denholm yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun May 2 13:23:01 2004

--B_3166356154_3059158

[I fixed my yum problem by changing over the Oregon State mirror site...
Thanks to those who made helpful suggestions.]

Now I am trying to get my YDL box to print to my HP 6MP Laserjet which is
connected to an HP JetDirect single port print server. Both my OS X and
WinXP machines are able to print to it fine just by using the IP address I
assigned to the JetDirect.

But I am having no luck at getting my YDL machine to print the same way. On=
thing that I find confusing is all the different ways one seems to be able
to create printers... KDE is a printer set up window, I can log into the
cups admin using a browser, and I can directly edit various files like
cups.conf and printer.conf. In some cases I can see changes showing up in
all environments... In other cases I don=B9t.

I have tried creating and deleting print queues in all three environments.
And I have tried using the JetDirect socket and I have tried using just
ldp... And I have tried using the IP address both with and without a port (=
did not need to provide a port id with either OS X or WinXP). Nothing works=
.

One thing I noticed that may be significant...

If I ping the printserver IP address from either my OS X or WinXP boxes, I
get a proper ping response. But if I ping the printserver from my YDL box, =
either any of our machines (two OS X and one WinXP) from my YDL box, I get =
valid ping response.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

--Doug

--B_3166356154_3059158

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Problems printing to HP JetDirect print server...</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><BR>
[I fixed my yum problem by changing over the Oregon State mirror site... Th=
anks to those who made helpful suggestions.]<BR>
<BR>
Now I am trying to get my YDL box to print to my HP 6MP Laserjet which is c=
onnected to an HP JetDirect single port print server. Both my OS X and WinXP=
 machines are able to print to it fine just by using the IP address I assign=
ed to the JetDirect.<BR>
<BR>
But I am having no luck at getting my YDL machine to print the same way. On=
e thing that I find confusing is all the different ways one seems to be able=
 to create printers... KDE is a printer set up window, I can log into the cu=
ps admin using a browser, and I can directly edit various files like cups.co=
nf and printer.conf. In some cases I can see changes showing up in all envir=
onments... In other cases I don&#8217;t.<BR>
<BR>
I have tried creating and deleting print queues in all three environments. =
And I have tried using the JetDirect socket and I have tried using just ldp.=
.. And I have tried using the IP address both with and without a port (I did=
 not need to provide a port id with either OS X or WinXP). Nothing works.<BR=

<BR>
One thing I noticed that may be significant...<BR>
<BR>
If I ping the printserver IP address from either my OS X or WinXP boxes, I =
get a proper ping response. But if I ping the printserver from my YDL box, I=
er any of our machines (two OS X and one WinXP) from my YDL box, I get a val=
id ping response.<BR>
<BR>
Any suggestions would be welcome.<BR>
<BR>