Problems printing to HP JetDirect print server...

Marcelo Giles yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 3 00:15:14 2004

--Apple-Mail-2-5461148

Doug

Indeed it IS significant. This means that you don't even have basic ip
connectivity between the YDL box and the print server, like if they
were on different networks.
First check out your network configuration, say on one of your OS X
boxes. Take note of the IP address, Subnet Mask and Router values.
Next, on your YDL box open a console (or terminal) window and type
ifconfig eth0, and take note of the same values.
Then compare both and see if there are any discrepancies.
  If there are differencies, then adjust the YDL box network settings to
resemble those of the OS X box.
I know all this seems pretty obvious, but... you never know (kind of
when the guy at tech support asks you "Is the machine plugged in,
sir?").

-Marcelo

> One thing I noticed that may be significant...
>
> If I ping the printserver IP address from either my OS X or WinXP
> boxes, I get a proper ping response. But if I ping the printserver
> from my YDL box, I responses indicating that the YDL box is
> unreachable.... But if I ping either any of our machines (two OS X and
> one WinXP) from my YDL box, I get a valid ping response.
>
> Any suggestions would be welcome.
> --Doug

--Apple-Mail-2-5461148

Doug

Indeed it IS significant. This means that you don't even have basic ip
connectivity between the YDL box and the print server, like if they
were on different networks.

First check out your network configuration, say on one of your OS X
boxes. Take note of the IP address, Subnet Mask and Router values.

Next, on your YDL box open a console (or terminal) window and type
ifconfig eth0, and take note of the same values.

Then compare both and see if there are any discrepancies.

 If there are differencies, then adjust the YDL box network settings
to resemble those of the OS X box.

I know all this seems pretty obvious, but... you never know (kind of
when the guy at tech support asks you "Is the machine plugged in,
sir?").

-Marcelo

may be significant...

If I ping the printserver IP address from either my OS X or WinXP
boxes, I get a proper ping response. But if I ping the printserver
from my YDL box, I responses indicating that the YDL box is
unreachable.... But if I ping either any of our machines (two OS X and
one WinXP) from my YDL box, I get a valid ping response.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

--Doug

</fontfamily></excerpt>

--Apple-Mail-2-5461148--