Running Sonnet L2 G3 upgrade extentsion before BootX

Kenneth Browne yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 3 20:23:01 2004

I've tried a number of suggestions and got one to work...sort of....
Using the free Apple utility Resedit I changed the file type of the
Sonnet extension and renamed the Sonnet and BootX extensions as follows

001.Sonnet
002.BootX

After this I finally got the Sonnet extension to load...then the BootX
dialog box appears. When I clicked on Linux to start Yellow Dog Linux my
system froze after a few lines of info ending with:

setup_arch: enter
setup_arch: bootmem
arch: exit

I've undone the above changes and my PPC5500 is now happily booting into
YDL as usual. Unfortunately without my G3 processor working. Is the only
way I'm going to have YDL running on a G3 or better to buy a native machine?

System info:
PPC5500/225 (603e processor)
128 mb RAM (max for this system)
30 gb Maxtor hdd partitioned for OS9.2.2 and YDL 3.0.1
generic USB card in single PCI slot.
ethernet via Apple ethernet card in PCI/comm slot.
Sonnet Crescendo L2 cache G3 400 mhz upgrade card
2 MB vram
SCSI CDROM and 1.4 mb floppy disk drive
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.
--
clacking the keys in Old Sturbridge Village, MA