New Programs

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 4 07:27:01 2004

Mr. Lyons:

Robert Lyons wrote:
> While I am not new to Linux, I am very new to Yellow Dog.
> I run Slackware on my PC's. I am having some very newbie
> problems.

If you can install and run Slackware, then you are not a Linux newbie by
any means!

I am pretty much a newbie in the Yellow Dog *and* PC Linux sense, but
here are my opinions (for what they might be worth).

> I really only have two programs that I want to install on
> my powerbook:
> xine (or equiv. for DVD playback)

This one *might* be very hardware dependent, and thus hard to get
working on your machine (not to mention the need for DVD decoding
software that is legally -- though not morally -- iffy).

> bibletime (bible study software for the KDE desktop)
>
> I have tried to compile both of these from source, but I
> am running into all types of dependency problems.

No, that is very, very typical. Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.x is based on Red
Hat Linux 8 (I think). Therefore, all dependencies will be on libraries
and thingies that were contemporary with that distribution. Perhaps if
you can find older versions of your favorite software, they will be more
compatible.

> This almost makes Gentoo PPC seem easy :-)

I hope not! ;-)

Best wishes,
Clint