wifi on beige g3

Geoffrey S. Mendelson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 4 13:43:00 2004

Norberto Quintanar wrote:
> Linux and Wifi everything you've ever wanted to know and more.
>
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/

Be careful. I've found that most of the cards supported by linux either:

1.	Exist only on E-Bay. They have not been made in years.
	Here in Israel they don't exist at all.

	For example, the infamous Orinoco cards. I'd love to get some,
	but have no way of doing for sure. There are several Orinoco
	cards that are not supported, e.g. the new ones.

2.	Use partialy closed source drivers with X86 modules included.

3.	Use open source drivers that only work with specific kernels.
	e.g. 2.4.x (latest being 22) or 2.6.x

4.	Have endian problems.

Also be careful because some cards have several versions under the same
name and some versions are supported and others are not.

For example, I have a Belkin laptop card that is supported by air port
software in the latest version of Panther (OS X 10.3). It is not supported
in Linux except with a partialy closed source driver (X86 only) or a
new (and not well tested, if at all, on a PPC) 2.6 only driver.

Please report any successes or failures.

Thanks, Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm@mendelson.com