Installing xine [was: Re: New Programs]

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 4 21:55:01 2004

Hi Robert,

On Mon May 3 2004, Robert Lyons wrote:

> While I am not new to Linux, I am very new to Yellow Dog. I run Slackware on my PC's. I am having some  very newbie problems.
>
> I really only have two programs that I want to install on my powerbook:
> xine (or equiv. for DVD playback)
> bibletime (bible study software for the KDE desktop)
>
> I have tried to compile both of these from source, but I am running into all types of dependency problems. If I need to add some more things during the install I can start over, but I do not think it should be this hard to get this going.
>
> This almost makes Gentoo PPC seem easy :-)
>
> Thanks for your help or any Tips for installing new software on YDL
>
> By the way I am using 3.0.1

The xine part should be easy.  Add the following lines to the end of
your /etc/yum.conf file:

[freshrpms]
name=Fresh RPMS
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/3.0/ppc/freshrpms

Then just do:

	yum install xine

This should also install xine-lib, but if it doesn't just do:

	yum install xine-lib

You may also want the alternate skins that are available for xine,
which you can install by:

	yum install xine-skins

For watching encrypted DVDs, you will also need to:

	yum install libdvdcss

That should do it.  There are slightly newer versions of xine available
but the freshrpms versions are fairly recent and should work fine.

BTW I highly recommend xine.  It's my personal favorite media/DVD player.

						-Bill