Using X Windows remotely from cygwin

Stephen Harker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 5 16:07:01 2004

> [...]
> I can make a basic commandline ssh connection from cygwin to the YDL box but
> when I try and set up an X Windows session, it dies.
>
> I am using the command "ssh -Y -l root YellowDog" under cygwin (the syntax
> suggested in the cygwin user guide). This prompts me for the root password
> on the YDL box and then initiates a commandline on the YDL. But when I try
> to use X (for example by typing "startkde") I get the following behavior:

My understanding is that with ssh, if you wish to use X11, you need to
use X11 forwarding which can be done using `ssh -X'.  See the man page

     -X      Enables X11 forwarding.  This can also be specified on a per-host
             basis in a configuration file.

             X11 forwarding should be enabled with caution.  Users with the
             ability to bypass file permissions on the remote host (for the
             user's X authorization database) can access the local X11 display
             through the forwarded connection.  An attacker may then be able
             to perform activities such as keystroke monitoring.

My understanding is only based on reading some posts in various
newsgroups.  Since the main remote server I use does not have ssh
installed (I have asked) I am stuck with using telnet.

--
Stephen Harker                           Stephen.Harker@spme.monash.edu.au
School of Physics & Materials Engineering