YUM repository links

mascarasnake yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 5 20:18:01 2004

Hey, John-
Once you've updated the kernel or installed with a 3.0.1 disk, there's
no need for the 3.01 site in your yum.conf file. Comment it out ( using
a # in front of those three lines)

All of the stuff at freshrpms is YDL ready (with the exception of gimp
- to some degree) - just do "yum info xxxxx" to get the info on what
"xxxxxx" is. freshrpms are your friends.

One last word of caution. RPM suppositories aren't always PPC
suppositories. RPM  means Redhat Package Manager. Redhat being a PC
linux gizmo upon which YDL is based. Tread steadily, My friend.

All will become apparent, in time

g'luck

----------

	It's what you make it man
	Takes time
	A little bit
	A little bit more

			-The Minutemen

dontdrill@earthlink.net
mascarasnake@mac.com
On May 5, 2004, at 1:41 PM, John Cochrane wrote:

> [...]
>> To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
>> Subject: Re: YUM repository links
>>
>> Hey, John-
>>
>> You've downloaded the right ISOs. The only things in the 3.0.1
>> repositories are kernel updates, Xfree86 stuff and MOL modules. All of
>> your updates are in the 3.0 updates directories. you might want to
>> check out <http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/3.0/ppc/freshrpms> as
>> well. There are some more up to date apps there, already compiled for
>> YDL. Just add this to your yum.conf  file:
>>
>> [freshrpms-ydl-3.0]
>> name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 freshrpms
>> baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/3.0/ppc/freshrpms
>>
>> As far as posting a newbie quesation, there are several posters that
>> are encouraging you do so. The Newbie list mysteriously stopped being
>> archived back in November. Posting here is the best way to keep a
>> searchable archive going.
>>
>> g'luck
>>
>> ----------
>>
>> It's what you make it man
>> Takes time
>> A little bit
>> A little bit more
>>
>> -The Minutemen
>>
>> dontdrill@earthlink.net
>> mascarasnake@mac.com
>> On Apr 30, 2004, at 11:54 AM, John Cochrane wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all.
>>>
>>> Ok, first, I'm a newbie, and this is my first post, so please be
>>> gentle with
>>> me! I opted for the 'general' list (sorry if that's the wrong thing
>>> do)
>>> because it seemed a little livelier, and I figured I could take the
>>> punishment!
>>>
>>> After as much 'blind reading' about the 'wonderful world of Linux'
>>> as I
>>> could suffer, and with ideas for server boxes, I recently (very
>>> recently!)
>>> opted to try out YDL on a couple of beige G3s that I have gathering
>>> dust.
>>>
>>> I have the basic software (3.0.1) installed. Yes, I encountered some
>>> installation problems, but reading the existing mail lists really
>>> helped me
>>> get through those issues. So thanks already for all that info from
>>> contributors.
>>>
>>> My specific issue now relates to YUM.
>>>
>>> After completing the basic installation I figured it would be prudent
>>> to get
>>> everything updated and I understand that YUM is the way to do this. I
>>> came
>>> across the 'connection reset by peer' issue and now understand from
>>> reading
>>> other posts that the yum.conf file (as shipped) points to the main
>>> ftp
>>> and
>>> should be pointed to a mirror to overcome this. However, that
>>> information
>>> got me thinking about the exact link, and what software exactly I had
>>> installed! Currently, my yum.conf (as installed) is:

>>> cachedir=/var/cache/yum
>>> debuglevel=2
>>> logfile=/var/log/yum.log
>>> pkgpolicy=newest