YUM repository links

John Cochrane yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 6 05:22:01 2004

> From: mascarasnake <dontdrill@earthlink.net>
> Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 22:17:12 -0400
> To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
> Subject: Re: YUM repository links
>
> Hey, John-
> Once you've updated the kernel or installed with a 3.0.1 disk, there's
> no need for the 3.01 site in your yum.conf file. Comment it out ( using
> a # in front of those three lines)

Thanks once again for your words of confirmation.

> All of the stuff at freshrpms is YDL ready (with the exception of gimp
> - to some degree) - just do "yum info xxxxx" to get the info on what
> "xxxxxx" is. freshrpms are your friends.

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm slowly coming to terms with the relatively
dispersed world of Linux, compared to the fairly holistic nature of MacOS!

> One last word of caution. RPM suppositories aren't always PPC
> suppositories. RPM  means Redhat Package Manager. Redhat being a PC
> linux gizmo upon which YDL is based. Tread steadily, My friend.
>
> All will become apparent, in time

Ah yes, time..... the one element that I could never have estimated for
accurately when planning my Linux journey!

Info much appreciated.

John

> g'luck
>
> ----------
>
> It's what you make it man
> Takes time
> A little bit
> A little bit more
>
> -The Minutemen
>
> dontdrill@earthlink.net
> mascarasnake@mac.com
> On May 5, 2004, at 1:41 PM, John Cochrane wrote:
>
>> Thanks mascarasnake for your reassuring confirmation and the extra
>> info!
>>
>> The whole yum update proceeded well from this point. The explanation
>> for the
>> contents of the 3.0.1 folder being MOL and kernel updates still had me
>> little confused. After yum'ing from the 3.0 folder, should I be
>> concerned
>> (esp. as a noobie) about the other stuff? Even though I don't have MOL
>> installed yet, it is something I wish to look at soon.
>>
>> Regarding the additional bit of info (freshrpms), I'm afraid I have
>> another
>> question. Although a complete newbie to Linux, I am totally
>> comfortable with
>> the idea and principle of yum, but have yet to become intimately
>> familiar
>> with the practice of it! To this end, I very much want to understand
>> the
>> procedure (and consequences!) rather than just executing commands and
>> procedures 'as wrote'. After checking out your link:
>>
>> <http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/3.0/ppc/freshrpms>
>>
>> but before actually implementing it, and a bit more browsing, I'm
>> becoming
>> aware that there are repositories for all sorts of things, all over the
>> place! I'd initially assumed (naively of course!) that YDL would be the
>> place for YDL yum updates.
>>
>> I'm hoping someone out there might be generous enough to enlighten me a
>> little as to whether all these alternate sources are (generally -
>> nothing in
>> life is guaranteed!) approved, safe, supported, reliable etc etc... Do
>> these
>> updates eventually find their way to YDL and do they have to be
>> verified?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John
>>

>>> From: mascarasnake <dontdrill@earthlink.net>
>>> Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:11:48 -0400
>>> To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
>>> Subject: Re: YUM repository links
>>>
>>> Hey, John-
>>>
>>> You've downloaded the right ISOs. The only things in the 3.0.1
>>> repositories are kernel updates, Xfree86 stuff and MOL modules. All of
>>> your updates are in the 3.0 updates directories. you might want to
>>> check out <http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/3.0/ppc/freshrpms> as
>>> well. There are some more up to date apps there, already compiled for
>>> YDL. Just add this to your yum.conf  file:
>>>
>>> [freshrpms-ydl-3.0]
>>> name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 freshrpms