OT: Gentoo Q's

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 6 00:11:00 2004

At 22:58 -0500 on 2004-5-5 peter wrote:

 > i'm thinking about trying out Gentoo on my powercenter, and i had a
 > couple questions for those of you who've tried it. the main
 > question i have is how much faster is gentoo in comparison to YDL?

It is a definite speed improvement, though I would not be able to
quantitize it.  My guess is that the 2.6 kernel is the culprit, so you
may want to try upgrading YDL 3 to accept a 2.6 (feasible though not
trivial) and you may end up in the same spot.  It is also the case
that I optimized everything for my processor, but this should not
matter in such a degree as noticed on my box.

 > also, i can't find much information about requirements for hard
 > drive space. as it stands i only have a 2.4GB drive and only about
 > 200MB is free on my YDL installation.

You need al the development packages (GCC and all), so you are a bit
tight for space.  You may expect some space improvement bunt not much.
My initial installation (definitely usable, including X, but not
spectacular) was aroung 1.5G but now with all the bells and whistles
it is _much_ larger (~4G).

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.