OT: Gentoo Q's

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 5 22:41:01 2004

My guess is it will run about the same. If you had more recent hardware
you might notice a difference. The YDL binaries are compiled to run on
a broad range of hardware by aiming for the lowest common denominator,
which in this case is you. You'd probably see performance improvements
over pre-built packages if you were compiling with a G4 or G5  with
appropriate CPU specific compiler optimisations enabled.

I recently tried installing Gentoo on a spare partition on a G3 iBook
which also runs OS X and YDL 3.01. The install process lies somewhere
between irritating and torturous depending on your *nix experience.
Personally I got fed up after a few hours and installed Debian instead.
It was pretty straightforward and after getting a basic system up and
then doing an apt-get dist-upgrade I was looking at something not far
removed from my YDL desktop but with up-to-date(ish) packages (Gnome
2.4, Mozilla 1.6, Firefox, Thunderbird, Evolution 1.4, Gimp 2.0, etc.)
Pretty cool I suppose.

Not sure if it was really worth the bother. The Fedora based YDL 4.0
will be available at the end of this month and I believe it promises
the latest and greatest of everything including a 2.6 kernel. Sounds
pretty sweet to me.

Greg