VNC vs Cygwin

peter yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 10 20:51:01 2004

I use VNC quite extensively. there are a few neat things that you can
do with it too. i have my YDL box start up in runlevel 3 (while i
juggle chainsaws *grin*) and start an Xvnc session that's just not
initally being displayed anywhere. then when i log in, i use vncviewer
to attach to the vnc session. the upshot of this is that i can use a
remote machine with a vnc client to connect to my machine, then just
close it when i'm done and when i get home, everything is right where i
left it, which is really nice! the one annoyance is that after extended
periods of inactivity (like overnight) sometimes the vncviewer will die
and drop back to the command line. this isn't that big a deal, since
reconnecting to the vnc server only takes a couple seconds.

as far as security goes, i only allow local vnc connections to my
machine, so anything from outside of my home LAN has to be via an ssh
tunnel.

peter