can't boot to MacOS X partition - yaboot problem?

Bernard B Yoo yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 11 13:58:01 2004

I suddenly developed problems booting into my MacOS X partition.

I have a YDL 3 + MacOS X system with Yaboot.  For a long time, I had been booting exclusively into MacOS X.  Recently, I booted into YDL and ran Mac-on-Linux (MOL).  MacOS X started to start up, but got hung up before reaching the login prompt.  I
rebooted the computer.

When I reboot and select MacOS X at the Yaboot prompt, the screen flashes and the Yaboot prompt reappears.  I press "x" again and one of two things happens: 1) the computer freezes or 2) the computer complains of "cannot access memory at ".  No further
activity occurs, no further information is given.

When I reboot and select Linux, I can log in to Linux.  I can also start to start up MacOS X in Linux (with "startmol -x" from a root login).  The MacOS X startup hangs at "Waiting for Network Information Service".  This is probably a user-induced error
(my fault), as did some NIS setup sometime since the last time I used MOL.  I suspect my NIS configuration is interfering with Linux on MOL.

I would simply like to be able to boot directly into my MacOS X partition, without MOL.  Yaboot seems to have a problem with this.  My yaboot.conf file includes the following lines:

boot=/dev/hda9
device=/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/disk@0:
init-message .....
partition=12
timeout=30
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-8d
      label=linux
      root=/dev/hda12
      read-only
      initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8d.img
      append="hdc=ide=scsi"

macosx=/dev/hda11
macos=/dev/hda10
defaultos=macos
delay=10

Sometime in the course of troubleshooting, I did run "ybin" again.  This does not seem to have had either a positive nor a negative effect.

If I wait long enough for MacOS X to get past the "waiting for Network INformation SErvice" message when running under MOL, I can eventually log in as root (yes, I enabled the root account).

Can anybody help me get booted into MacOS X again?  TIA!

B. Yoo