Cannot change volume in xmms

Andrew yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 15 16:30:02 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 17:52, Clinton MacDonald wrote:

you lost me... ;) I always though you were unable to listen to audio cds
while MP3s/streams are ok..

> Andrew:
>
> Thanks for all your time helping me with this!
>
> Andrew wrote:
> >> Poop!
> >
> > ok, disable CD Audio Player then configure AudioCD Reader to use
> > Digital audio extraction (im not quite sure of the exact naming...)
>
> (Remember, I am listening to an MP3 streaming broadcast, not an audio
> CD.) On your suggestion, I went ahead and disabled *all* my plugins. Not
> surprisingly, I was unable to listen to the stream (after restarting
> xmms -- some configuration changes don't seem to "stick" until the
> application is restarted). Then, if I re-enabled the MPEG 1/2/3 plugin,
> I was able to listen again. MPEG 1/2/3 was in charge.

I suggested you to disable 'CD Audio Player' plugin, not ALL of them..
(rolling eyes) I suggested it because, from my experimentations, AudioCD
Reader gave a better sound quality then CD Audio Player..

> If I click the Configuration button, I see three tabs: Decoder,
> Streaming, and Title. Decoder has sections for Resolution (16 bit or 8
> bit, set at 16), Channels (Stereo or Mono, set at Stereo), Down sample
> [1:1 (44 kHz), 1:2 (22 kHz), 1:4 (11 kHz), set at 1:1], and Options
> (Detect files by content instead of file extension, not checked). The
> Streaming tab has Buffering (Buffer size -- 256 kb, Pre-buffer -- 25%),
> Proxy (Use proxy not checked), Save stream to disk (not checked), and
> SHOUT/Icecast (Enable SHOUT/Icecast title streaming -- not checked,
> Enable Icecast Metadata UDP Channel -- checked). The Title tab refers to
> iD3 tags, and nothing is checked.

Ok great,now what about the output plugin setup?

> > What I really need to know is what options are set into the input plugin
> > configuration box. With these infos provided I'll be able to give you
> > more specific help as this problem may not be XMMS's fault. Some
> > Macintosh are missing a important cable used for audio cds.
>
> Well, since I am running YDL on a PowerBook, if I am missing a cable, it
> is unlikely I will be able to add one. ;-) If the problem is not with
> xmms, let me know exactly which applications I should be playing with. I
> wonder if pbbuttonsd (the PowerBook battery and sleep support daemon) is
> intercepting all sound control?

The cable I've been talking about about is a quite narrow one with two
pins. it goes from the back of the CD device to the soundcard input or
built-in-motherboard sound system. AFAIK, you need this to play analog /
direct. This is directly from the CD to the sound card to the speakers..
If you miss the cable, use the software way: Digital audio extraction.

> I have been quite disappointed in sound support on both YDL and Mandrake
> running on an Intel PC (it has some sort of generic Sound Blaster card).
> Perhaps this is what you are talking about. Basically, none of the
> volume widgets or "sound mixers" (a bit of a misnomer for what is really
> a volume control) seem to have an effect on either platform. Sound
> support in Linux might not be 100% ready for prime time. Therefore, I
> *really* appreciate your efforts to try and help me!
>
> Best wishes,
> Clint

I am both deceived and satisfied with My Linux Experience so far:

It rock as it is FAST and FUN, I can compile the sources, has lots of
tweeks to do all around the system instead of only those provided by the
authors in some Preferences box.. Always a little something to learn
from here and there... IMHO, Linux wear the Spirit Of Freedom!

It sucks because its weird as hell. To many specifics, not enough
consistency. Apps get installed into places I have no clue about.
Sometimes need to run './AppName' instead of 'AppName'. Devices are
often a pain to setup, lucky me all mine goes ok right away... RPMs
means dependencies to resolve...Linux downside is Several tiny problems
who makes a big-bad-fat one...