Cannot change volume in xmms

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 15 15:54:01 2004

Andrew:

Thanks for all your time helping me with this!

Andrew wrote:
>> Poop!
>
> ok, disable CD Audio Player then configure AudioCD Reader to use
> Digital audio extraction (im not quite sure of the exact naming...)

(Remember, I am listening to an MP3 streaming broadcast, not an audio
CD.) On your suggestion, I went ahead and disabled *all* my plugins. Not
surprisingly, I was unable to listen to the stream (after restarting
xmms -- some configuration changes don't seem to "stick" until the
application is restarted). Then, if I re-enabled the MPEG 1/2/3 plugin,
I was able to listen again. MPEG 1/2/3 was in charge.

If I click the Configuration button, I see three tabs: Decoder,
Streaming, and Title. Decoder has sections for Resolution (16 bit or 8
bit, set at 16), Channels (Stereo or Mono, set at Stereo), Down sample
[1:1 (44 kHz), 1:2 (22 kHz), 1:4 (11 kHz), set at 1:1], and Options
(Detect files by content instead of file extension, not checked). The
Streaming tab has Buffering (Buffer size -- 256 kb, Pre-buffer -- 25%),
Proxy (Use proxy not checked), Save stream to disk (not checked), and
SHOUT/Icecast (Enable SHOUT/Icecast title streaming -- not checked,
Enable Icecast Metadata UDP Channel -- checked). The Title tab refers to
iD3 tags, and nothing is checked.

> What I really need to know is what options are set into the input plugin
> configuration box. With these infos provided I'll be able to give you
> more specific help as this problem may not be XMMS's fault. Some
> Macintosh are missing a important cable used for audio cds.

Well, since I am running YDL on a PowerBook, if I am missing a cable, it
is unlikely I will be able to add one. ;-) If the problem is not with
xmms, let me know exactly which applications I should be playing with. I
wonder if pbbuttonsd (the PowerBook battery and sleep support daemon) is
intercepting all sound control?

I have been quite disappointed in sound support on both YDL and Mandrake
running on an Intel PC (it has some sort of generic Sound Blaster card).
Perhaps this is what you are talking about. Basically, none of the
volume widgets or "sound mixers" (a bit of a misnomer for what is really
a volume control) seem to have an effect on either platform. Sound
support in Linux might not be 100% ready for prime time. Therefore, I
*really* appreciate your efforts to try and help me!

Best wishes,
Clint