Mozilla won't load

Douglas Denholm yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 18 18:29:02 2004

I am a recent convert to YDL and I had the same problem. When I tried to run
Mozilla it just spun its wheels and then died. I never got a Mozilla window.

In any case, I used yum to uninstall and then re-install Mozilla and then it
worked fine. [You might also consider the FireFox browser also available
from Mozilla.]

Yum, as I am sure others will tell you, is the command-line rpm tracking and
install tool for YDL. It is described on the YDL website at:

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/yum.shtml

The default /etc/yum.conf file targets the rpm depository on the YellowDog
Linux server which appears to be overloaded. I found that yum timed out
until I switched to a different repository.

I switched to targeting two different yum repositories:

[base]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 base
baseurl=ftp://ftp.oregonstate.edu/pub/ydl/yum/3.0/RPMS.main/
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/3.0/ppc/freshrpms/

[updates]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 updates
baseurl=ftp://ftp.oregonstate.edu/pub/ydl/yum/3.0/RPMS.updates/
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/3.0/ppc/updates/

There is a fairly extensive list of ydl repository mirror sites but I forget
the link to it (I suspect somebody else on this list will provide it. ;)

Others on this list also told me about synaptic which is a Xapp for viewing
installed and available rpms. I find it very helpful because it gives you a
complete list of available and installed rpm's grouped by category and
provides basic package descriptions... It will also keep track of
dependencies.

Good Luck! --Doug