Gnome is dead. Remove/reinstall possible?

Norberto Quintanar yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 21 15:13:01 2004

--- Baruch Stone <baruch1@mac.com> wrote:
> My machine: Powerbook Pismo 400 with YDL 3.0.1 installed.
>
> Problem: Gnome is mostly dead. No longer do I have multiple
> desktops, things are missing, doesn't work right. (I am using KDE
> now, which is basically Gnome, but I don't like it as much).
>
> What happened: It seems the clock got reset to 1904. When i powered
> on the machine I got a whole host of errors when logging into
> gnome. I was prompted to delete some files and I said yes. When I
> fixed the time finally I was able to get into gnome but by this
> time it was severely injured. I can get into kde but I'd love to
> get gnome back.
>
> My goal: to remove and reinstall gnome, repair gnome, ressurect
> gnome, etc.
>
> What can I do?!

I would recommend that you type "yum update gnome* logged in as root
on the command line.

I would recommend this as being more bulletproof.  You get the
integration with X this way.

Good luck!!

=====
--Norberto Quintanar

"You belong to something bigger. From birth. And your life is spent rediscovering the underlying principles, through various players -- coaches, mentors, teachers, spouses, kids. It's in your genes. Your responsibility. Destiny. Is all on you.  Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
--Norberto Quintanar