free books

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 22 21:52:01 2004

Hey, Macaroni!

mascarasnake wrote:
> First of all, kudos to suzy, Ed, norberto, clint and longman. Excellent
> job on the FAQ site

Thanks! Bill Longman has really taken the lead in this project, and it
would not be happening without him. He is the Web guru for the site, and
I also want to thank his place of work (Sharp Laboratories) for lending
us some bandwidth and storage space, at least during this trial phase.

> for many reasons, so all I can say is "solid gone, daddy o's"

Well, Suzy counts as a "mommie-o." ;-)

> While cruising around in my convertible Google engine on this otherwise
> beautiful Saturday, I stumbled across this site.
> <http://freebooks.by.ru/Linux.html>

Thanks, again. We have a page with tips for Linux in our "Learning More"
section:

<http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/Learning+More/Learning+More+about+Linux>

I will add your suggested site to our page.

By the way, although I cannot speak for Bill, I would not be surprised
if he would be happy to have you (or any other Yellow Dog mailing
listers) contribute to the growing FAQ (in fact -- no pun intended -- I
thought you were already on board). Contact Bill directly
<mailto:longman AT sharplabs DOT com> for a username and password.

> Oh, Yeah. I had a kinda OT questio as well. I installed Fedora FC1 on my
> i586 with 80 MB RAm and it's slower than molasses. Should I have chosen
> a different distro? (For those of you in the know)

Is this a trick question? ;-) Do you really have only 80 MB of RAM? That
would be the *major* reason for the molasses. Otherwise, Fedora (or, at
least, the Red Hat distribution that preceded it) is the bog standard
distribution of PC Linux. I would be surprised if it had not been pretty
heavily bug tested by "the Bazaar."

Best wishes,
Clint