Best Mac for Yellow Dog?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 24 17:13:01 2004

Macaranasnake and Mark:

Thanks for the comments. They were *exactly* what I needed to know!

mascarasnake wrote:
> Coincidentally, my YDL box is a 7500 with a 604e 200MHz processor.
> Runs perfectly well. It does occasionally forget the soundcard on
> boot, but that can be fixed by the modprobe thingy.

Excellent -- it sounds like that is the way for me to go, then. Gee, the
7500 cost me $250 four years ago, but I never put it to good use. YDL
will be a fine way for me to make good on my investment.

> If you have the 7500, YDL runs quite nicely. If it were me,
> however, I'd put a larger drive in it.

I have two external 2-GB SCSI drives. Unfortunately, they are as slow as
molasses. I have *several* 250-500 MB internal drives kicking around,
but those are almost useless these days. Hmmm... I was thinking of
replacing the 25-GB currently in the Wallstreet with its original 2 GB
drive, since my starving artist friend has no need for the 25 GB of
storage. Maybe I can pop the 25-GB drive into the 7500. I will have to
look into that possibility (does the 7500 accept ATA drives?).

Mark Pubols wrote:
> I'm running YDL 3.01 on a 7600/132 and it works great. The machine
> handles everything I ask of it quite well...better than I expected
> in fact.

Another vote of confidence!

> Just be sure to get a 4 GB drive for it if you can although my 7600
> runs only a 2.5 for the YDL with a workstation installation.

Yes, drive space is my biggest concern. I recall that once I installed
MKLinux on the 7500 using one of the external 2-GB drives (I got the
command line, but could never start X). That wasn't too crowded. If I am
selective, I might be able to get a workstation install going -- or bite
the bullet and purchase a 4-GB drive on eBay. I wish I could remember
how much RAM I have on the 7500....

> That leaves very little for the files although I'll probably add an
> external HDD to give me a little more storage.

A good idea. I will try to follow suit.

Best wishes,
Clint