Best Mac for Yellow Dog?

sloopy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 24 20:01:02 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 19:12, Clinton MacDonald wrote:
> Macaranasnake and Mark:
>
> Thanks for the comments. They were *exactly* what I needed to know!
>
> mascarasnake wrote:
> > Coincidentally, my YDL box is a 7500 with a 604e 200MHz processor.
> > Runs perfectly well. It does occasionally forget the soundcard on
> > boot, but that can be fixed by the modprobe thingy.
>
> Excellent -- it sounds like that is the way for me to go, then. Gee, the
> 7500 cost me $250 four years ago, but I never put it to good use. YDL
> will be a fine way for me to make good on my investment.

i have a 8500/G3-500 and a 7500/604-233 and both run YDL rather well...
i also have a B&W G3 that i used to run YDL on and it was rather good
with it too... (i dont run YDL on it becuase the mrs evidently feels she
NEEDS M$ office...)

> > If you have the 7500, YDL runs quite nicely. If it were me,
> > however, I'd put a larger drive in it.
>
> I have two external 2-GB SCSI drives. Unfortunately, they are as slow as
> molasses. I have *several* 250-500 MB internal drives kicking around,
> but those are almost useless these days. Hmmm... I was thinking of
> replacing the 25-GB currently in the Wallstreet with its original 2 GB
> drive, since my starving artist friend has no need for the 25 GB of
> storage. Maybe I can pop the 25-GB drive into the 7500. I will have to
> look into that possibility (does the 7500 accept ATA drives?).

i would definitly try and get a bigger HD... if the 2 gig's are half
high drives you could probly put them both in the machine, as the
internal scsi and external scsi are different and the internal scsi is
faster (int 10MB/sec max xfer, ext 5MB/sec mac xfer) but you can get an
internal SCSI HD pretty cheap these days... here is an 18gig hd for $15
(not including the adaptor which they also sell for an additional $10)

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/hd_st118202lc.html

which will give you plenty of space... as for the 25gig from your
powerbook it uses a mini-ide type connector which you would need an
adaptor for... in addition to a PCI IDE card... better off selling the
drive and getting the scsi drive above...

> Mark Pubols wrote:
> > I'm running YDL 3.01 on a 7600/132 and it works great. The machine
> > handles everything I ask of it quite well...better than I expected
> > in fact.
>
> Another vote of confidence!
>
> > Just be sure to get a 4 GB drive for it if you can although my 7600
> > runs only a 2.5 for the YDL with a workstation installation.
>
> Yes, drive space is my biggest concern. I recall that once I installed
> MKLinux on the 7500 using one of the external 2-GB drives (I got the
> command line, but could never start X). That wasn't too crowded. If I am
> selective, I might be able to get a workstation install going -- or bite
> the bullet and purchase a 4-GB drive on eBay. I wish I could remember
> how much RAM I have on the 7500....
>
> > That leaves very little for the files although I'll probably add an
> > external HDD to give me a little more storage.
>
> A good idea. I will try to follow suit.
>
> Best wishes,
> Clint

sloopy.

also take a look at my web site for the config of my 8500...
http://home.comcast.net/~sloopym/
and yes i know i need to redo it... but it was made with pride in YDL
3.0 on a 8500, in vi...