Quadruple Boot System

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 28 19:28:01 2004

I have OS X, OS 9, YDL 3.01 and Debian installed on my iBook. I
sometimes use MOL to run OS 9 and OS X from YDL. Haven't installed MOL
in Debian yet.

This is the way I have things laid out at the moment. Bit of a dog's
breakfast unfortunately.

/dev/hda
         #                    type name                 length   base
  ( size )  system
/dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                    63 @ 1
  ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/hda2     	Apple_Driver43 Macintosh                56 @ 64       (
28.0k)  Driver 4.3
/dev/hda3          Apple_Driver43 Macintosh                56 @ 120
  ( 28.0k)  Driver 4.3
/dev/hda4        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh                56 @ 176
  ( 28.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda5        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh                56 @ 232
  ( 28.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda6          Apple_FWDriver Macintosh               512 @ 288
  (256.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda7      Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh               512 @ 800
  (256.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda8           Apple_Patches Patch Partition         512 @ 1312
  (256.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda9               Apple_HFS OS9                20971520 @ 1824
  ( 10.0G)  HFS
/dev/hda10        Apple_Bootstrap untitled               2048 @
20973344 (  1.0M)  NewWorld bootblock
/dev/hda11        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled           35112287 @
20975392 ( 16.7G)  Linux native
/dev/hda12        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap                1572480 @
76567680 (767.8M)  Linux swap
/dev/hda13        Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap              1600 @
56087679 (800.0k)  NewWorld bootblock
/dev/hda14        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 boris              20478401 @
56089279 (  9.8G)  Linux native

Install OS 9 first. It creates a bunch of little partitions (hda1 -
hda8) which it requires to boot.

I made the mistake of putting OS 9 and OS X on the same partition.
Yaboot and MOL both have problems with this and when I change the boot
OS for this partition it changes the Open Firmware default boot volume
so no more yaboot.

hda10 is a bootstrap partition which contains the yaboot boot loader.
If I boot this partition the yaboot menu is displayed and I can choose
to load MacOS from hda9 or YDL from hda11. If I'd installed OS X on a
separate partition I'd be able to choose Linux, OS 9 or OS X from here.
You should be able to add your OpenDarwin partition to yaboot as well,
though you may have to identify it as a second OS X partition in the
config file. Can't remember.

hda12 is my Linux swap partition.

hda13 is a second bootstrap which I use to load Debian which is on
hda14.

Initially I installed Debian without a bootstrap partition as I assumed
I could configure my existing yaboot to load Debian. I wasn't able to
get it working. I think yaboot was trying to load the Debian kernel
image from the YDL volume. The configuration I was hoping for is almost
certainly possible but I couldn't figure it out.

If you bugger up your boot loader setup don't forget that if you hold
'option' while booting OpenFirmware displays a list of the available
bootable volumes for you to choose from. Boot into YDL, run ybin and
your back in business.

Greg