Which Hardware-Raid works ?

Atro Tossavainen atro.tossavainen+ydl at helsinki.fi
Tue Nov 2 01:54:12 MST 2004

> The card is not initialized at all. (Got no address in PCI space)
> A friend checked it with a PCI hardware debugger:
> During PCI initialization the AMI-card answers with ABORT.
> Because of this the cards gets no address space from the firmware.
> So its not recognized as a PCI card at all.

That's very, very weird, but at least you have done the necessary
debugging and have a very good idea of what is going on.

> Are there any Raid card which have a forth bios?

Googling for "powermac hardware raid" comes up with very little.
The ACARD AEC-68x0M cards perhaps, but they're not SCSI, they're
IDE or SATA.  I would go to the local Mac shop and ask the dealers.
You will probably need to do all the setting up and administration
in OS X though.

> Regarding the tools:
> I hoped to be able to setups/admin a raid with program like the linux
> raidutils.

If the card doesn't come with its own utilities for controlling the
hardware RAID, then you are s**t out of luck.  The Linux raidtools are
good for software RAID only, and while that's perfectly fine for many
purposes, it's not what you are looking for if you specifically want
HW RAID.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,