Which Hardware-Raid works ?

Gunnar von Boehn gunnar at greyhound-data.com
Mon Nov 1 09:34:29 MST 2004

Hi,

On Nov 1, 2004, at 12:42 PM, Atro Tossavainen wrote:

>> DPT Smartraid:
>> PPC Linux crashed when loading the module mod_i2o.
>
> I believe you mean "dpt_i2o".

Yes.

> Which kernel version?  Did you try any other versions?

I tried with 2.4.25 2.6.4 and  2.6.8

> How did Linux crash?  Did you get a kernel panic?

Yes, the module segfaults.

>  If so, did you report it to kernel developers?

You are right I will report it.

>> AMI MegaRAID:
>> The card was not visible at all. The system behaved as like the card
>> was not inserted at all.
>
> I have to ask whether you inserted it properly.  I am not the world's
> foremost PCI expert (rather the opposite!) but I would expect lspci
> output to show the presence of the card whether or not any software
> was able to support it.

The card is not initialized at all. (Got no address in PCI space)
A friend checked it with a PCI hardware debugger:
During PCI initialization the AMI-card answers with ABORT.
Because of this the cards gets no address space from the firmware.
So its not recognized as a PCI card at all.

>> ICP GDT 6118 RP
>> Could not get driver working but I only tested very little this one.
>
> Again, the specific error messages you received would be useful.

You are right. The card belongs to a friend I have to ask him for the
error messages again.

>> I hope to get SCSI RAID working somehow. :-)
>
> Did you give any thought to the issue that even if you get the card
> working, you may not be able to set up any arrays because of the
> inability to run the card's BIOS and lack of utilities in the OS?

Good point.
If the cards Bios is x86 assembler running it will be a bit difficult.

Are there any Raid card which have a forth bios?

Regarding the tools:
I hoped to be able to setups/admin a raid with program like the linux
raidutils.

Cheers
Gunnar