Which Hardware-Raid works ?

Atro Tossavainen atro.tossavainen+ydl at helsinki.fi
Mon Nov 1 04:42:44 MST 2004

> DPT Smartraid:
> PPC Linux crashed when loading the module mod_i2o.

I believe you mean "dpt_i2o".

Which kernel version?  Did you try any other versions?

How did Linux crash?  Did you get a kernel panic?  If so, did you
report it to kernel developers?

> AMI MegaRAID:
> The card was not visible at all. The system behaved as like the card
> was not inserted at all.

I have to ask whether you inserted it properly.  I am not the world's
foremost PCI expert (rather the opposite!) but I would expect lspci
output to show the presence of the card whether or not any software
was able to support it.

> ICP GDT 6118 RP
> Could not get driver working but I only tested very little this one.

Again, the specific error messages you received would be useful.

> I hope to get SCSI RAID working somehow. :-)

Did you give any thought to the issue that even if you get the card
working, you may not be able to set up any arrays because of the
inability to run the card's BIOS and lack of utilities in the OS?

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,