OT: OS X virus info

mascarasnake dontdrill at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 3 17:18:39 MST 2004

Just adding a bit here, Bill:

I've been following this News tidbit for a while now. From what I can
gather, there's very little that this thing can do if your machine is
secure (it requires root access to install in the first place). Good
security rules of thumb - use 'sudo' instead of 'su', use 'ssh' instead
of 'telnet', lock your screen if you are away from you computer, et. al
- make this malware mainly a note of interest as opposed to a real threat.

Mac OS X Hints has a great thread on this gizmo that includes some
scripts that can keep an eye on your Startup Item Folders for you (where
this puppy likes to live).
	<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20041101050409768>
There is also a link to the NSA's guide to securing a Mac. Informative
reading (if not exactly titillating). I found several holes in my own OS
X box that I plugged.

Like you say,the one thing that this really points out to us in the Mac
and *nix world is that no system is truly free from the uglies of the
world. If we  practice lax security, we're really not much better off
than our Windows Weenie cousins thrice removed.