Terrasoft appears to be taking order for YDL 4.0 now

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 21:29:01 MST 2004

I feel sorry for everyone not using GMail (or some other form of
e-mail that "stacks" threads).

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 21:31:43 -0600, Ryan Nix <rnix at prometheon.net> wrote:

> Quite frankly, I feel ripped off by Terasoft and will definitely wait
> for future free versions.  Clinton, if I already paid for Terrasoft's
> distro, why should I have to pay them again to support it?  Thats an old
> school oligarchy model like Microsoft and Apple and it sucks.  Again, if
> I've already paid for it (I downloaded YDL 4 as soon as it was out) why
> couldn't reupload it the day I bought it?  As long as all the copyrights
> are there, the distro is based completely on open source and therefore
> subject to the GPL where it says I can modify it and redistribute it as
> I see fit.

Perhaps someone's who's read the licences can clarify. Does your right
to modify and redistribute it only extend as far as the _source code_?
If so, then YDL is perfectly within their rights to restrict access to
the ISO and any binaries for as long as they want, provided they make
the source code for everything available.

PS As to your earlier comment re it not working on your iBook "out of
the box": it was beta software that you were running afterall!!!
(well, not that OSS is ever really out of beta ;P

PS #2 I'd love to know what the % are for installs of Debian vs. YDL
vs. Mandrake vs. ...

PS #3 (another post in this thread) Though Terrasoftsolutions doesn't
officially list Old World Macs as supported I believe they state that
YDL 4.0 ought to work on them. I have a sneaky suspiscion that
(proportionately) more people with New World machines purchase support
services/CDs than people with Old World machines, thus there's little
incentive for them to devote scare and $$$$$ coding resources to Old
World machines.

I'm happy with YDL. Out of the box the installer set my computer up,
no fiddling required!

Eric.