Extra sound card working anyone?

Henry A. Leinhos henry at leinhos.com
Fri Nov 5 07:53:13 MST 2004

matthew dechant writes:

> The microphone jack is there. Isn't it going to have some sort of preamp
> (i.e. sound distortion) if I use it? I thought that's one reason why they
> also put a line-in on sound cards.
>
> -m

Macs have a combined phone/linein jack.  Only Mac microphones will work with
the mac phonein jack (the mac phone jack is longer than a standard one, such
that a regular length jack connects to the standard line-in input)

That being said, I believe that the dmasound driver for the Burgundy chip
has broken sound in (at least up to kernel 2.4.20).  I've never been able to
get sound-in working on any of my B&W G3s.  An old soundblaster card worked
fine, as I recall, though.

henry