Extra sound card working anyone?

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri Nov 5 09:20:39 MST 2004

There would be no distortion or preamp because the connector accepts a
line-level stereo input. Sound cards have a microphone jack in addition to
line-in, but the Mac doesn't have a microphone jack, only line-in. There
are special line-in microphones that are made for the Mac for this reason.
Such microphones have an extra long plug to reach the +5V line behind the
line-in connector, which remains unused when a standard line-in plug is
used there.

The dmasound_pmac driver in YDL 3.0.1 worked perfectly on my Sawtooth,
which I didn't realize has the Screamer chip instead of the Burgundy. You
should give kernel 2.6.7 a try to see if it works.

To use a PCI sound card, you will need to recompile the kernel anyway
because TerraSoft omits drivers for PC hardware.