Does Red Hack suck?

Gavin Hemphill hemphill at glhemphill.net
Mon Nov 8 14:53:37 MST 2004

Ok, so how does Ubuntu make it work so seamlessly on both my TIPB and
ALPB.  Not only that, my PCI scsi cards seem to work under Ubuntu on my
Quicksilver.  Not only that, I just did a ubuntu install to a firewire
disk, out of the box - this isn't to say I've got firewire figured out
completely under kernel 2.6 but the Ubuntu installer sure can deal with
it - it screws up when you actually boot the 2.6 kernel on the firewire
device, but I figure that's probably some arguments to mkinitrd, modules
etc that I had to figure out under the old 2.4 kernels to get things
booting off firewire.  Hmmm, even power management seems to be at least
partially functional on the ALPB under Ubuntu and works great on the
TIPB.  I've even seen security upgrades already.

For a distro that I've only had a day and a bit to play around with I
must say I'm really really impressed.  I'll even give up KDE for all the
other advantages I've seen so far - but maybe I'll just apt-get KDE and
see what happens since I'm playing around.

I've also installed Ubuntu on a couple of I386 boxes, one a few years
old and one days old, with the same painless install and upgrade.  All I
have to figure out now is how to support Ubuntu since they don't sell
distributions.  hmmmm maybe I'll set up a North American mirror for them.
	G++