Ubuntu 4.10

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 08:45:34 MST 2004

I don't know that much about "package management" yet so I'll smile and nod.

Ubuntu has one bonus that I like: a GUI-based package manager called
synaptic (and, as a fervent Mac-user I must say quite well designed).

PS For some light reading...
<http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=8754>
<http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=8407>

Fran wrote:
> Thanks Eric, yeah, I visited the Ubuntu site several times but found no
> reference to the kernel iteration.   Which struck me as pretty odd.
> But I'll try again.

It's 2.6.something. I think GNOME is 2.8.something. The 1st URL above
details the version numbers. Right now I'm going to install WebMin
1.6.9 from the tar and see if Debian 3.1 is the same as Ubuntu 4.10 ;P
(ah well, if the install goes to pot, that's OK... that just gives me
the excuse to format the partition and try a different distro).

Eric.