Left behind by YDL?

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 18:45:38 MST 2004

> A) Stick with YDL and hope that v4 comes with the latest stuff (does it?)
> and will continue to be actively upgraded;
> B) Try MacOSX Server and hope that Apple provides timely updates (what's
> their record like?);
> C) Go to the dark(er) side and run Linux on x86 hardware (most places seem
> to have rpms for that platform available)?

I've wondered about C myself. There's no real advantage to running a
server/play toy on a PowerMac Beige tower (aside from being able to
use my four button ADB Kensington TurboMouse 5.0), and, I could likely
get a (physically) smaller x86 box with more "oemph" if I were to sell
the Beige G3 and buy a similarly priced clone. RPMs would be available
at the drop of a hat & I'd have a wider selection of distros at my
beck & call (of course, the one advantage to the Beige G3 is that its
hardware configuration is known & static).

The one bonus you'd get with OS X server is continual performance
improvements (& a completely GUI-based server solution). I imagine
they make security updates available ASAP given that they're trying to
position OS X as a secure OS.

Eric.