Left behind by YDL?

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 18:55:11 MST 2004

> >> C) Go to the dark(er) side and run Linux on x86 hardware (most places
> >> seem
> >> to have rpms for that platform available)?
> >
> > I've wondered about C myself. There's no real advantage to running a
> > server/play toy on a PowerMac Beige tower
>
> I would disagree with you here.   Most linux vulnerabilities (buffer
> overflows) are calculated to crack x86 systems.  By running ppc/linux
> (or any other relatively obscure hw/sw combo), you've dramatically
> increased the level of skill an attacker needs to compromise you.
> There was an interesting interview with a Sony rep on their recent
> decision to go with a ppc/linux server in a critical spot on their DMZ.

>   Here's the link:
>         http://www.ppcnux.de/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4119
> And here's the relevant portion for those who lack time...
>
> from the article:
> >       •       Worms/Attacks
> >
> >  The server can be accessed from the internet - so security was
> > important of course.  Linux is a safe operating system. Nevertheless
> > from time to time  a new security hole is found and needs to be
> > patched.  All automated attacks and worms are usually designed to
> > break into x86 systems.  Even if you patch your system always in time,
> > it gives you a much nicer  feeling to know that your system is kind of
> > immune by design.

Very subtle, but important difference between the same OS operating on
different architectures! (of course, I'm (a) not running an important
server and (b) am lazy and want to have the latest and greatest
goodies).

This should be a (minor) slogan for YDL: as good as the x86
competition, but more secure than they could ever hope to be (there's
a reason I went into the sciences, and not marketing ;)

Eric.