Left behind by YDL?

Olaf Olson oolson at hadleyconnection.com
Wed Nov 17 22:22:01 MST 2004

Steven,

Please understand that this is my  opinion.

I have observed that the world runs on money. Yup. Really.

Often, this means that spending money gives better results than not.

I am happy to work with my household server, with some security holes
(potentially) as it isn't life or death, as I keep all valuable password
data, account data, financial data, etc. on other machines that are not
servers and are protected behind more commercial firewalls. YDL is for
me to play.

Are people using YDL in a more professional capacity? I suspect so,
because that's where Terrasoft MUST be earning its living. They're
certainly not staying in business based on me or on others like me.
Although I bought YDL 3 and will pay for YDL 4, it's not likely that my
$90 is keeping the bill collectors out of TerraSoft's offices. Those
commercial customers must be getting support from TerraSoft, for
security updates and the like, which isn't quite so readily available to
us... er... thrifty people.

In short, if keeping up-to-date with security issues and critical new
features in server software is important and rolling your own isn't the
way you want to pay for it, you should look into a contract for services
with Terrasoft. I don't know what they provide and am not a spokesperson
for the company, but I suspect they'll explain it all if you contact them.

Olaf