iBook G4 1.2ghz Fan Problems

Rich Simpson rich at richcreations.com
Mon Nov 22 13:04:36 MST 2004

I believe that your issue with your fan stems from the fact that OS X
will only turn the fan on if it needs to, and is well integrated with
your hardware, linux does not have as good of support for the power
management features in your powerbook, and hence runs the fan even when
it is not necessary to do so, the fan eats your battery, so I bet that
os x would get much better battery life from your book, but I am sure
that it would not let your powerbook get to hot.

I have a pismo (G3 powerbook) under OS X, the fan will only come on
under extreme circumstances, I must be doing something that takes a lot
of cpu, while using the optical drive, and have the vents partially
covered (watching a dvd in bed will usually do it), yet with linux I
see the same behavior as you, I have used cpu temp monitoring software,
and my powerbook has not ever gotten too hot under OS X.

As such, I would not worry about hacking OS X to use the fan more, but
I would think about adding better apple portable power management
support to linux, so it would run the fan less, and get better battery
life.

-Rich Simpson